Crypto Apps - Benchmark - Part 1 - Introduction
Apps relative to crypto are very recent and now common on the AppStore. We wanted to study those Apps to make an smart article about technical stacks & good practices.
What are the good things?
What are the bad things in those about?
What are the important points if you want to start to build a new App?
To study those questions we have decided to take the most trendy applications and to compare them on technical aspects :
|MetaMask - Blockchain Wallet||ee.mtakso.client||65.1|
|Coinbase: Buy Bitcoin & Ether||com.vilcsak.bitcoin2||10.29.4|
|Crypto.com - Buy Bitcoin, ETH||co.mona.Monaco||3.143|
|Binance: Buy Bitcoin & Crypto||com.czzhao.binance||2.50.0|
|ZenGo: Crypto & Bitcoin Wallet||kzencorp.mobile.ios||4.1.2|
This article is the one a serie :
- There is native Apps and Apps developed using a cross plateform solutions.
- All Apps can provide a very rich User Experience and extends the system using App Extensions or interact with other Apps to improve the journey of a User.
- The applications are characterized by the number of interactions with the system and the possible interactions with other Apps.
- The packaging is really different depending on the technology of the application and this leads to resources not optimized and some security weaknesses.
AppScore give an objective & synthetic vision of any Apps, just by focusing on quality criteria. If you want to get more details about AppScore computation
|MetaMask - Blockchain Wallet||4.67|
|Coinbase: Buy Bitcoin & Ether||4.59|
|Binance: Buy Bitcoin & Crypto||4.30|
|Crypto.com - Buy Bitcoin, ETH||4.14|
|ZenGo: Crypto & Bitcoin Wallet||4.13|
- MetaMask is clearly over the other apps
The technologies is evaluated using multiple hints inside the App bundle.
|Crypto.com - Buy Bitcoin, ETH||Native|
|MetaMask - Blockchain Wallet||Native|
|Binance: Buy Bitcoin & Crypto||Native & Flutter|
|ZenGo: Crypto & Bitcoin Wallet||Reach Native|
|Coinbase: Buy Bitcoin & Ether||Reach Native|
|FTX (anciennement Blockfolio)||Reach Native|
- A lot af alternative technologies are used
- Native is not the most common implementation
- 3 React Native Apps and 2 Flutter Apps
Minimal iOS version
|App||Minimal iOS version|
|ZenGo: Crypto & Bitcoin Wallet||11.0|
|FTX (anciennement Blockfolio)||11.0|
|Coinbase: Buy Bitcoin & Ether||12.0|
|Binance: Buy Bitcoin & Crypto||12.0|
|MetaMask - Blockchain Wallet||12.0|
|Crypto.com - Buy Bitcoin, ETH||13.0|
- Crypto.com requires iOS 13.0 which is not a bad idea but you loose some % of devices
App size is important to be able to be easyly installed and not to limited because of the network. And not be the 1st application uninstalled if the device has less space.
|FTX (anciennement Blockfolio)||28 Mb|
|ZenGo: Crypto & Bitcoin Wallet||56 Mb|
|Coinbase: Buy Bitcoin & Ether||66 Mb|
|eToro Money||79 Mb|
|MetaMask - Blockchain Wallet||117 Mb|
|Crypto.com - Buy Bitcoin, ETH||246 Mb|
|Binance: Buy Bitcoin & Crypto||540 Mb|
- Binance, why is it so big?
- a lootttt of assets in a lot of internal frameworks.
- Crypto.com, why is it so big?
- lot of assets (of big assets) … maybe time to migrate to more vectorial integrations